Registration Information – Summer 2013
IMPORTANT SEMESTER DATES
Monday, April 15, 2013 – Schedule available on the WEB
Monday, April 29, 2013 – Schedule available at Emeritus College and city of S.M. Libraries
Monday, May 6, 2013 – First day of registration/enrollment
Monday, June 17, 2013 – SUMMER SESSION BEGINS
Thursday, July 4, 2013 – Independence Day (No Classes/Office Closed)
Saturday, July, 20, 2013 – SUMMER SESSION ENDS
How to reach us
Business Hours: Mon.–Fri., 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1227 Second Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Telephone: (310) 434-4306
Enrollment Services Options
Listed above are the important semester dates. Students must enroll every semester. Student are allowed to enroll in a maximum of 3 classes for the Summer 2013 semester.
NEW STUDENTS are those without an SMC Student Identification Number. New students must register/enroll in person at the Emeritus College Enrollment Services Office & provide a picture ID in order for their paper application to be processed and to receive their permanent student ID#. Enrollment forms are located in the schedule, at Enrollment Services, or at www.smc.edu/emeritus.
RETURNING STUDENTS are those absent from classes for three semesters or more. They must use the large paper application to update their student information record.
CONTINUING STUDENTS are students actively enrolled in the present or previous 2 semesters. Continuing students may use any combination of enrollment options. One week prior to the start of enrollment, Continuing Student cards are mailed to the address on record. Listed at the top of the form is a randomly selected enrollment appointment date/time. You may enroll online using the SMC Corsair Connect Enrollment System on your appointment date/time or anytime thereafter. If you do not receive an online enrollment appointment, you cannot enroll online.
SMC STUDENT CORSAIR CONNECT ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM FOR CONTINUING STUDENTS
Online enrollment appointments are computer generated and randomly selected. Online enrollment gives continuing students the best odds for successful enrollment. Enroll online on your appointment date/time or any time thereafter. Detailed online enrollment instructions are available in the Emeritus College Enrollment Services office & online at www.smc.edu/emeritus. Emeritus College mini computer lab volunteers will assist students with online enrollment. Go to room #209 during the enrollment period and use this great service!
• Go to — click onto the link located at the left hand side of the webpage “How to Enroll in Classes at Emeritus College.” On this page you will find links to the online enrollment login screen, the Emeritus College schedule of classes, important semester dates, enrollment instructions & the SMC/Emeritus College searchable schedule.
• Have your SMC/Emeritus Student ID number, password and class section numbers available. If you haven’t already, you will be asked to convert your 6-digit date-of-birth password to an alphanumeric password upon entering the system. You are responsible for retaining your new password and for printing your online enrollment transaction receipt. If you’re not sure what your ID number or password is, follow the on screen instructions in order to retrieve your password.
PAPER APPLICATION ENROLLMENTS
Students using the paper application enrollment option may mail or drop off forms no earlier than the official first day of enrollment to the Emeritus College Enrollment Services Office. Paper enrollment forms are processed after all the online appointments have expired with mailed-in forms taking precedence.
• Mailed forms are processed prior to hand-delivered forms on a daily basis. Postmarks are used to determine processing order.
• Fill out all forms completely, sign, date and provide an emergency contact/number on the form.
• List courses in priority order; do not enroll in duplicate sections of the same course or classes that overlap in time.
• Write “Alt” to indicate your 2nd choice for a better chance of receiving a course of your choice.
NOT ABLE TO ENROLL?
If you are unable to enroll, because of missing application information, a required matriculation code change, unpaid credit course fees, a records hold, or disqualification status, call the Emeritus College office for information. If you are attempting to enroll online, we will refer you to the mini computer lab volunteers in room #209 to assist you with online enrollment. Please use this great student service. Due to limited trained staff, we are unable to train students to enroll online over the telephone.
TRANSACTION RECEIPT/CONFIRMATION OF ENROLLMENT
Students enrolling online will not receive a mailed transactions receipt from Emeritus College. They must print their transaction receipts from the SMC Corsair Connect enrollment system. If you have submitted a paper application for enrollment, you will receive a transaction receipt via US mail. If a class you selected is not listed: that indicates the class was filled, there was a time conflict, or you tried to enroll in two sections of the same course. ID#s are listed on the upper left hand of the confirmation/receipt. BRING YOUR RECEIPT TO THE FIRST CLASS/ES or TO THE OFFICE IF YOU HAVE ENROLLMENT QUESTIONS.
Class sections reopen automatically when students drop. Check for openings periodically by using the online enrollment system. For closed classes approach the instructor at the first meeting for an AUTHORIZATION CODE or to have them sign an add card/continuing student form. The AUTHORIZATION CODE is a one-time code to add via the Corsair Connect Web enrollment system. Please note the expiration date of codes.
SEARCHABLE SCHEDULE, GENERAL INFORMATION AND ENROLLMENT TIPS:
• Go to www.smc.edu/emeritus; click onto “How to Enroll for Classes at Emeritus College.” On this page you will find links to the SEARCHABLE SCHEDULE. Select 1) the semester, 2) Emeritus and 3) choose between open & closed, open, or canceled options. Scroll down & click the button. A listing appears below the “search” button. Click the arrow at the bottom of the page to access additional pages.
• Courses are free but we gladly accept donations.
• Attend the first class or you may be dropped.
• Regular attendance is expected. Low attendance & low enrollment may cause class cancellations.
• Only enrolled students may attend class after 1 visit.
Use an address card for changes or make the change on-line at www.smc.edu/emeritus, click on “How to Enroll in Classes at Emeritus College” then click onto the Enroll Online link in the middle of the page, Login, click onto “Profile Preferences”, update your address & press “Submit Changes” to save the information update.
EMERGENCY INFORMATION CARDS
Help us help you. Make sure your emergency information is current each term. If you use the SMC Corsair Connect system, fill out an Emergency Card at Enrollment Service.
A Sample of a Course from the Schedule
ART E00 Survey of the Arts
Survey the history of art by viewing selections from particular periods of time or development. Comparative analysis will increase your understanding of the work shown.
9500 10a-11:50a Tue 1227 #107 John Smith
Part I: Study art in the context of history. This semester covers Ancient Art.
The 9000 course section number must be in the class section field for correct enrollment.
Grants are available for students with materials or book needs. Make a confidential request to the Program Coordinator, (310) 434-4306.
STATEMENT OF NONDISCRIMINATION
Santa Monica College fosters a work and learning environment that welcomes and supports a diverse student body and staff reflective of our pluralistic society. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, status as a Vietnam-era veteran, sexual orientation, or marital status for admission and enrollment in classes, student services, financial aid, and employment in accordance with provisions of Title VI and VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-112).
Any person seeking information about or claiming grievance because of alleged violations of the laws listed above should contact:
• SMC Human Resources Office for complaints of unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment and sexual discrimination, (310) 434-4415
• Sandi Burnett, ADA/504 Compliance Officer for disability discrimination concerns, (310) 434-4442
Grievances are reviewed in terms of Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, and Section 504 law. If normal channels are not available or fail to meet legal requirements, the necessary action is initiated by the college. A record of all grievances is reported to the Affirmative Action Committee.
De acuerdo con los provisos de los Tìtulos VI y VII de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, el Tìtulo IX de las Enmiendas Docentes de 1972 y la Sección 504 de la Ley de Rehabilitación de 1973 (P.L. 93-112), Santa Mónica College se compromete a la igualdad de oportunidades para ingresar en el College, para matricularse en las clases, para utilizar los servicios estudiantiles, para ayuda financiera y para empleo, sin discriminar por razones de raza, color, religión, sexo, paìs de origen, edad, impedimento fìsico, preferencia sexual, estado civil o por ser veterano de la época de Vietnam.
Help provide for classroom rental, supplies, and equipment. Checks can be made payable to SMC Foundation – Emeritus Fund and mailed with your registration.
Please allow additional time for donation acknowledgments during peak registration periods.
Emeritus College Staff and Volunteers
This schedule prepared by Santa Monica College Office of Marketing:
Donald Girard, Senior Director, Government Relations and Institutional Communications
Ming-Yea Wei, Coordinator; Graphic Design: Charles Mark-Walker; Website: Christine Tobey
Santa Monica College Contributors:
Dr. Chui L. Tsang, Ron Furuyama, Vivian Rankin-Scales, Miriam Kafka, Brenda Koplin, Lauri Arneson, and Jessica Riojas.